Monday, July 03, 2006

Ernie Barnes-Legendary Artist/Painter






This week on (Greatness by Design) with Blanche Williams, Ernie Barnes, the legendary painter will be on her talk show on July 4th. See her newsletter this week for times and stations. In the meantime, I am just amazed at his art and I will not do another blog for Black Art. I simply don't have the time. I am still working on my first book, at my pace. I wanted to do this segment on him though for his art is beau-ti-full!

Ernie Barnes was born on July 15, 1938 in Durham NC. He had a normal childhood and he went off to college playing football. That was his life until one day this is what he noticed:

"One day on the playing field, I looked up and the sun was breaking through the clouds, hitting the unmuddled areas on the uniforms, and I said, 'That's beautiful!'. I then knew that it was all over being a player. I was more interested in art. So I traded my cleats for canvas, my bruises for brushes, and put all the violence and power I had felt on the field into my paintings."

Let me put some of his work here. Some of his work will have sports scenes in them for that was his past. It seems that there is a restriction of pictures that will go on one post.

1. The Homecoming
2. Sugar Shack
3. The Anniversary
4. A Life Restored
5. In Remebrance

Those five are above. All of his art tells a story and leaves more to be desired. go to www.erniebarnes.com please for his wonderful site. You will be impressed at the biograpy.

mizz diamond

2 comments:

MsJayy said...

While he definitely has an impressive portfolio, "Sugar Shack" is probably the picture most folks are familiar with. It was used in the theme for the TV show "Good Times" - displayed as if it had been painted by JJ. Remember that? Well, if for personal reasons you want to know any other African-American artist, hit me up privately & I'll share some more names with you.

There's a guy from my hometown who is making quite a name for himself as a 'folk artist'. His work has been on display in several galleries up & down the East Coast & I think a few pieces were used in a gallery scene in a movie. So you see, it doesn't matter where you're from or what you've been through - it's where you're going & whose hand you hold along the way.

Don't forget my invite to YOUR debut exhibit! I'll be there with a smile on my face & money in hand to own a Sharon Dianna original. Oh yes. Let there be no doubt about that!!

Diamond said...

That's a deal! I thought that sugar shack piece looked familiar! Yes, Jackie I can see myself with a painting one day because I have so many creative ideas in that brain of mine that have to come out.