Thursday, March 30, 2006

Through Rose Colored Glasses

I looked up the meaning for "rose" just like I did in 2004 and it basically gives the same definition. I looked up the meaning in the Websters II New Riverside editon and here it is: a shrub or vine of the genus "rosa" having prickly stems and variously colored; usually flowers. A deep pink, a rosette.

Roget's II The New Thesaurus gives the similiar word choices for rose-colored and they are: Expecting a favorable outcome, or dwelling on hopeful aspects, rosy, sanguine, looking on the bright side, looking through rose-colored glasses.

When we examine the above word choices, all is positive and bright. There is no negativity on the scene. This is the way that we should be in life. Always look on the bright side of things.

That is what kept me alive back then because I looked on the "bright side" of matters and that kept me hopeful knowing that I would see a brighter day. And that I did. Regardless of the amount of trials and circumstances that I had undergone, there was a rose-colored glass in view and that I did see. It did not matter about the prickly stems, I overcame them one step at a time. Friends, you may feel prickly stems sticking you all over the place but you can act as if you do not feel them. Feel the rose. It is a beautiful thing to see and feel. It is from God.

A future book that I am going to be writing after the poetry is: "Through Rose-Colored Glasses." It features Diamond, who after being married for twenty years, finds herself suddenly homeless with nothing but the clothes on her back. Through homelessness, living in rooms, motels, train stations, living at Pier 3, she rises to the occasion. As a poet/writer, she works her way through school, becomes a psychologist, adopts a baby boy and moves to Paris. I titled it "Through Rose Colored Glasses" because that is how Diamond saw everything throughout her marriage which led to her harm. However, afterwards the rose-colored glass syndrome was used in a positive way.

Do any of you find that you look at things through rose-colored glasses or maybe you did in the past? Did it benefit or help you? You don't have to answer if you are not comfortable in sharing this, it may be too personal and I do hereby apologize. Just enjoy the reading.

A rose is a thing of beauty. Cherish it. It is even on the Salada tea bag!

2 comments:

MsJayy said...

I've been told that I view the world through rose colored glasses. I say I view it through truth. And yes, I've felt the prickly thorns too but you don't get the beauty of the rose without the thorns. You might by the time those roses make it to the florist but to get to that beautiful stage, the thorns had to be born also. Keep your head up & as long as we keep our rose colored glasses clean so we get the real view, that's all that matters!

Diamond said...

Yes those thorns hurt at times but we must allow them in order to go through the healing process. I have had many thorns, have them not but I shall not let them pinch me! OUCH!! The Rose shall stand forever!